California is one of my favorite states to explore by car. So here’s how to plan an epic California road trip!
1. Determine if you’re going to rent a car or RV or bring your own vehicle, then make any reservations early.
2. Map out your route. You’ll need to map out your driving route and know your expected driving times and distances for each day, but always make time to stop at places you’ll discover along the way.
3. When you’re camping or in an RV, make sure you have an accommodation plan for each night of your trip. Read all of my RV Tips and Tricks!
4. Download maps, apps, and playlists before you start driving. There’s no guarantee you’ll always have service. Plus, you don’t want to use up all your data.
5. Book popular activities and accommodations ahead of time.
6. Have a roadside emergency kit with you. Car troubles happen, so you need to make sure you’re prepared for this possibility.
7. Schedule one relaxation day for every four days of your road trip. Take a rest from driving and scheduled activities and just enjoy wherever you are.
8. Have buffer days build into your itinerary. More than likely, your plans will change at least a couple of times because of weather, traffic, delays, etc. So to avoid having to cancel things or skip places, plan some buffer days into your road trip plan.
9. If you’re going to drive through a larger city, make sure you time your trip to avoid rush hour traffic.
10. Don’t wait to fill up on gas. Never risk running out of gas because sometimes gas stations can be few and far between.